Teenager Fights Off Attackers in D.C. Hate Crime
BY Lucas Grindley
June 29 2012 12:35 PM ET
A 16-year-old was repeatedly stabbed outside the newly restored Howard Theatre in Washington, D.C., and police say the crime was motivated by hate.
The Washington Blade reports that the teenager was stabbed three times — in the biceps, back, and leg — while being held by two more assailants. Somehow the victim pulled out a can of pepper spray and fought them off.
NBC4 reports that antigay slurs were used during the fight and that the words continued even after the three were arrested. They had just left the theater, which is located just three blocks from a series of gay nightclubs, but a statement made on behalf of the facility sought to clarify that the attackers weren't patrons — in fact, the trio are accused of stealing tips.
"This incident, though unfortunate, apparently happened at a construction site not affiliated with the theatre," the statement to NBC4 said, "and did not happen at The Howard Theatre and did not involve patrons or anyone else involved with the theatre."
The victim was treated at the Howard University hospital.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM