FRC Shooter Pleads Guilty, Explains Chick-fil-A Sandwiches
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 06 2013 6:04 PM ET
Floyd Lee Corkins II today pleaded guilty to shooting and wounding a security guard at the headquarters of the antigay Family Research Council in Washington, D.C., in August 2012. In a plea agreement, Corkins pleaded guilty to three counts: interstate transportation of a firearm and ammunition, assault with intent to kill while armed, and an act of terrorism while armed, according to the Associated Press.
In the plea agreement filed Wednesday, Corkins, a 28-year-old LGBT center volunteer, admitted that he intended to kill as many people as possible during the August shooting. If he was not stopped, Corkins planned to target other organizations that oppose same-sex marriage, reports the AP.
In addition to a pistol, the AP reports that Corkins carried a backpack full of Chick-fil-A sandwiches into the Christian organization's headquarters and planned to smear the sandwiches on his victim's faces "to make a statement against the people who work in that building … and with their stance against gay rights and Chick-fil-A."
The Georgia-based fast-food chain was under scrutiny last summer when it came to light that the organization had donated more than $5 million to antigay causes through its charitable arm, the Winshape Foundation. Despite the organization's claims to the contrary, Chick-fil-A continues to donate to groups that vilify LGBT people.
Corkins could receive up to 15 years in prison for each count and will be sentenced April 29, according to the AP. Read more about Corkins's foiled plans here.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 3 min 14 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 34 min 3 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 1 hour 10 min ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 1 hour 21 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 1 hour 22 min ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 28 min ago