FRC Shooter Pleads Guilty, Explains Chick-fil-A Sandwiches
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 06 2013 7:04 PM ET
Floyd Lee Corkins II today pleaded guilty to shooting and wounding a security guard at the headquarters of the antigay Family Research Council in Washington, D.C., in August 2012. In a plea agreement, Corkins pleaded guilty to three counts: interstate transportation of a firearm and ammunition, assault with intent to kill while armed, and an act of terrorism while armed, according to the Associated Press.
In the plea agreement filed Wednesday, Corkins, a 28-year-old LGBT center volunteer, admitted that he intended to kill as many people as possible during the August shooting. If he was not stopped, Corkins planned to target other organizations that oppose same-sex marriage, reports the AP.
In addition to a pistol, the AP reports that Corkins carried a backpack full of Chick-fil-A sandwiches into the Christian organization's headquarters and planned to smear the sandwiches on his victim's faces "to make a statement against the people who work in that building … and with their stance against gay rights and Chick-fil-A."
The Georgia-based fast-food chain was under scrutiny last summer when it came to light that the organization had donated more than $5 million to antigay causes through its charitable arm, the Winshape Foundation. Despite the organization's claims to the contrary, Chick-fil-A continues to donate to groups that vilify LGBT people.
Corkins could receive up to 15 years in prison for each count and will be sentenced April 29, according to the AP. Read more about Corkins's foiled plans here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 39 min 46 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 56 min 6 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 9 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 52 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 3:00 PM