In Their Own Words: AIDS Fundraisers Share the Personal Stories that Motivate Them
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 12 2012 4:05 PM ET
Josh Robers, 33, of West Hollywood, is a nurse practitioner who cares for people affected by HIV:
“I have seen the great advancements in care and how that has truly impacted the quality of life of those living with HIV. I believe people with HIV are now able to live a long and healthy life long beyond what they ever thought was possible.
"Two years ago, I lost a very close friend to complications of advanced HIV, and it really made me realize people are still struggling.
"Unfortunately, with these new advances, many young people downplay their risk and engage in risky behaviors, as they never witnessed entire generations being decimated by the disease.
"I have had to tell young patients that they are HIV-positive and watch their faces when they hear the news. Three of my close friends have all become HIV-positive in the last few years.
"I believe events like Concrete Hero bring the community together and awareness to the fact that this disease is still here and it still needs critical funds that are being cut every year in order to help those living with HIV and to further the research in order to find a vaccine or even a possible cure.”
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 24 min 10 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM