In Their Own Words: AIDS Fundraisers Share the Personal Stories that Motivate Them
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 12 2012 5:05 PM ET
Josh Robers, 33, of West Hollywood, is a nurse practitioner who cares for people affected by HIV:
“I have seen the great advancements in care and how that has truly impacted the quality of life of those living with HIV. I believe people with HIV are now able to live a long and healthy life long beyond what they ever thought was possible.
"Two years ago, I lost a very close friend to complications of advanced HIV, and it really made me realize people are still struggling.
"Unfortunately, with these new advances, many young people downplay their risk and engage in risky behaviors, as they never witnessed entire generations being decimated by the disease.
"I have had to tell young patients that they are HIV-positive and watch their faces when they hear the news. Three of my close friends have all become HIV-positive in the last few years.
"I believe events like Concrete Hero bring the community together and awareness to the fact that this disease is still here and it still needs critical funds that are being cut every year in order to help those living with HIV and to further the research in order to find a vaccine or even a possible cure.”
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 9 min 5 sec ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 1 hour 21 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM