Justice Dept. Scores Another Win Against HIV Discrimination
BY Neal Broverman
March 14 2013 2:38 PM ET
The Gleinbeigh Hospital of Rock Creek, Ohio, has settled a lawsuit with the Justice Department after a patient was denied services because of their HIV status, which is illegal under the Americans With Disabilities Act.
The hospital refused to admit someone into their alcohol treatment program because the patient was HIV-positive. Gleinbeigh officials claimed that side effects from the patient's HIV medications would put other people in the treatment program at risk. The Justice Department determined the hospital could not prove the complainant would have posed a threat to the health or safety of others. The hospital will pay the complainant $32,500 and fork over $5,000 in civil penalties. This is the fourth settlement the Justice Department reached in four weeks pertaining to HIV discrimination.
"The ADA does not tolerate HIV discrimination and neither will the Justice Department," Thomas Perez, assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, said in a statement.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 40 min 24 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 40 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 25 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM