BY Benjamin Ryan
October 08 2009 10:00 AM ET
Janelle L’Heureux, a dietitian at AIDS Project Los Angeles, names her top 10 tips for better nutrition.
1. Plan for tomorrow’s nutrition today by making meal and snack plans in advance.
2. Fuel your body throughout the day and eat light at night. Have a late-afternoon snack to prevent overeating at dinnertime.
3. Drink water throughout the day: two liters (about 8½ cups) or more.
4. Pack healthy snacks when leaving the house; think fruit and a handful of nuts, or whole wheat crackers and a small bag of veggies.
5. Eat lean protein with every meal, about one to four ounces. Choose from fish, skinless poultry, tofu, beans, and red meat with no visible fat or that’s 93% lean. Prepare by steaming, baking, broiling or
grilling. In other words, no frying!
6. Dairy is good. Consume three servings a day of pasteurized, low-fat dairy or soy products. Go for yogurt that has live active cultures if you have lactose intolerance. Try to find a product without high-fructose corn syrup.
7. Eat your vegetables! Enough to cover half of your plate at lunch and dinner.
8. Choose whole grains and complex carbohydrates -- about two or three servings per meal. Carbs get a bad rap, but they are a major fuel source and should be neither ignored nor overdone.
9. Seek out heart-healthy fats like those found in fish, nuts, seeds, avocado, or flax. Remember, a little goes a long way when it comes to nuts and avocado, since they have high calorie counts for a small serving size.
10. Take charge of your own nutrition. Learn to make one new recipe a month from scratch and read food labels so you know what you’re eating.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Richard Renaldi Hotel Room Portraits
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM