BY Benjamin Ryan
October 08 2009 9:00 AM ET
Janelle L’Heureux, a dietitian at AIDS Project Los Angeles, names her top 10 tips for better nutrition.
1. Plan for tomorrow’s nutrition today by making meal and snack plans in advance.
2. Fuel your body throughout the day and eat light at night. Have a late-afternoon snack to prevent overeating at dinnertime.
3. Drink water throughout the day: two liters (about 8½ cups) or more.
4. Pack healthy snacks when leaving the house; think fruit and a handful of nuts, or whole wheat crackers and a small bag of veggies.
5. Eat lean protein with every meal, about one to four ounces. Choose from fish, skinless poultry, tofu, beans, and red meat with no visible fat or that’s 93% lean. Prepare by steaming, baking, broiling or
grilling. In other words, no frying!
6. Dairy is good. Consume three servings a day of pasteurized, low-fat dairy or soy products. Go for yogurt that has live active cultures if you have lactose intolerance. Try to find a product without high-fructose corn syrup.
7. Eat your vegetables! Enough to cover half of your plate at lunch and dinner.
8. Choose whole grains and complex carbohydrates -- about two or three servings per meal. Carbs get a bad rap, but they are a major fuel source and should be neither ignored nor overdone.
9. Seek out heart-healthy fats like those found in fish, nuts, seeds, avocado, or flax. Remember, a little goes a long way when it comes to nuts and avocado, since they have high calorie counts for a small serving size.
10. Take charge of your own nutrition. Learn to make one new recipe a month from scratch and read food labels so you know what you’re eating.
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM