California governor signs bill expanding Medi-Cal AIDS coverage
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 20 2002 12:00 AM ET
California governor Gray Davis signed legislation Wednesday that expands the state's Medi-Cal coverage to include people with HIV infection that has not progressed to full-blown AIDS. Currently only people with an AIDS diagnosis who are considered disabled are eligible for benefits under Medi-Cal, the state's Medicaid program. "For the first time Californians who are infected with the virus that causes AIDS, but who have not yet developed the full-blown disease and who also don't have insurance, will be eligible for Medi-Cal," Davis said. "It's high time that our Medi-Cal system met the needs of those living with HIV."
The bill, sponsored by Assemblyman Paul Koretz (D-West Hollywood), grants full Medi-Cal benefits to HIV-positive people already enrolled in the state's AIDS Drug Assistance Program who are not disabled. Medi-Cal, however, will not cover prescription drug costs for those now eligible for coverage; that health care benefit will still be provided through ADAP. As many as 10,000 HIV-positive Californians will now be eligible for the Medi-Cal program. The law now must be approved by federal officials, which oversee all state Medicaid programs.
The program expansion will be paid for by shifting on a voluntary basis current Medi-Cal patients with AIDS from a current fee-for-service system to a less-expensive managed care program, with the savings paying for the new Medi-Cal enrollees. Some AIDS advocates worry that the funding scheme will not adequately cover the new enrollees and that too few current AIDS patients will switch to the managed care option, possibly resulting in across-the-board cuts in benefits.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 1 hour 10 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 1 hour 14 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 45 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 49 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM