Smallpox vaccine plans may have to skip those with HIV
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 04 2002 12:00 AM ET
A plan being considered by President Bush to vaccinate the vast majority of Americans against smallpox to counter a bioterrorism attack would likely have to skip those with HIV because their impaired immune systems may not be able to fight off the weakened virus used in the vaccines, The Boston Globe reports. Fred Rosen, an immunologist, said giving the smallpox vaccine to HIV-positive Americans could cause death or serious illness. Worse yet, it's even possible that the weakened virus used in the vaccine can be spread from the small pockmark scar caused by the vaccine to unvaccinated HIV-positive people, giving them the disease simply through skin-to-skin exposure.
"There are about a million people with the AIDS virus...and I don't know what is going to happen to them if they get vaccinia virus [used in the smallpox vaccines]," Rosen said. "I think they are going to die or have severe complications."
It is estimated that there are about 900,000 people in the United States who are HIV-positive. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute on Allergy and Infectious Diseases, says that Rosen's concerns are valid, but he adds that the smallpox vaccine would be contraindicated for many people: "There will be very, very explicit recommendations for exclusion; for example, HIV-infected individuals, transplant recipients, people with immuno-suppressed conditions."
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 12 min 40 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 19 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 42 min 26 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 51 min 12 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 57 min 54 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 40 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 12 min ago