STD linked with lowered prostate cancer risk
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 09 2002 11:00 PM ET
In a surprising find, researchers in Finland have discovered that men who've been infected with the sexually transmitted disease chlamydia appear to have a reduced risk of developing prostate cancer, Reuters Health reports. Scientists at the National Public Health Institute in Oulu expected to see an increased risk for the cancer, based on previous studies showing that chlamydia boosts a woman's risk for cervical cancer. But a study of male blood samples taken over a 30-year period showed that men who had antibodies against chlamydia, indicating a previous infection, had a 31% lower incidence of prostate cancer than men who had never been infected with the STD.
Even more unexpected was that the researchers determined that the higher the number of chlamydia antibodies in the blood, which indicate a persistent infection or multiple infections, the lower the cancer risk was. The researchers say their findings should not lead men to attempt to become infected with chlamydia to lower their cancer risk, but they note that it does open the door to antibody research for possible cancer risk-lowering treatments.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 34 min 8 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 34 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM