Philadelphia activists form coalition to oppose HIV names reporting
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 25 2003 12:00 AM ET
Philadelphia AIDS activists in opposition to the state's HIV names-based reporting system have formed a coalition aimed at convincing state lawmakers to rescind the names-reporting law and implement a code-based reporting system in its place, Philadelphia Gay News reports.
"We have a list of policy issues that we want to discuss with the administration [of Gov. Ed Rendell], and HIV reporting is high on the list," said Ronda Goldfein, executive director of the AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania, and a member of the coalition. "We believe that tracking HIV is important, but we want to do it on a reasonable, consistent statewide basis."
Pennsylvania's statewide HIV reporting system took effect last October, but health officials gave Philadelphia an indefinite exemption because of strong local opposition to the program. Activists say a code-based system would both satisfy the state's need to track new HIV infections while also safeguarding the privacy of those who test positive for HIV antibodies.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 27 min 3 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 26 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 27 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM