Syphilis cases up among gay men in Florida
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 25 2003 12:00 AM ET
Syphilis rates in Florida's Broward and Miami-Dade counties are up significantly, leading health authorities to suspect that unprotected sex is on the rise, which could lead to increases in HIV infections, the Miami Herald reports. In Broward County, syphilis infections were up 88% in 2002; in Miami-Dade County, new syphilis cases were up 19% in 2002. The numbers seem to be climbing even faster in 2003, with infection rates as much as 40% higher during the first two months of this year compared with the same period in 2002. Most of the new infections are occurring among men who have sex with men. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have listed Miami and Fort Lauderdale among the eight U.S. cities with the highest numbers of new syphilis cases.
Health officials say rising rates of unprotected sex are due to a "perception that HIV/AIDS is not a death sentence but something that can be controlled by powerful new drugs," said Tom Burns, program manager of the Miami-Dade County Health Department's Sexually Transmitted Disease program. "There seems to be 'prevention message burnout.' Maybe we don't have the right messages out there." Jay McLaughlin, health coordinator at the Gay and Lesbian Community Center of South Florida, confirms that more gay and bisexual men report engaging in unprotected sex. "People want to go back to the early days, when sex was free and everyone was having a great time," he said. "But we want people to realize what can happen."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM