Chicago mayor rejects call to boost AIDS spending
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley has rejected a call from AIDS activists in the city to boost HIV prevention spending in fiscal 2004 by $1 million. Daley proposed $3.7 million in spending for HIV prevention programs, less than what the city spent in 1997, according to the AIDS Foundation of Chicago. AFC reports that HIV prevention spending has decreased in Chicago by 8% since 1997, while the number of HIV cases has risen by 32%.
"Without a greater commitment to HIV prevention, Chicago's HIV/AIDS crisis will only worsen," said Mark Ishaug, AFC's executive director. "The mayor's proposed budget does not provide the resources necessary to turn the tide against this expanding health crisis."
AIDS activists, disappointed with Daley's decision, began picketing in front of City Hall on Wednesday. They also plan to picket during the city council's budget committee hearings next week, according to AFC. Chicago currently has about 22,000 HIV-positive residents. People of color account for 77% of recently diagnosed HIV infections in Chicago. The top mode of HIV transmission in Chicago remains male-to-male sexual contact.
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 24 min 5 sec ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 37 min 39 sec ago
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 1 hour 37 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2 hours 26 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2 hours 32 min ago
- Transgender How the Pacific Justice Institute Plans to Keep Demonizing Trans Kids 2 hours 43 min ago