Chicago mayor rejects call to boost AIDS spending
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley has rejected a call from AIDS activists in the city to boost HIV prevention spending in fiscal 2004 by $1 million. Daley proposed $3.7 million in spending for HIV prevention programs, less than what the city spent in 1997, according to the AIDS Foundation of Chicago. AFC reports that HIV prevention spending has decreased in Chicago by 8% since 1997, while the number of HIV cases has risen by 32%.
"Without a greater commitment to HIV prevention, Chicago's HIV/AIDS crisis will only worsen," said Mark Ishaug, AFC's executive director. "The mayor's proposed budget does not provide the resources necessary to turn the tide against this expanding health crisis."
AIDS activists, disappointed with Daley's decision, began picketing in front of City Hall on Wednesday. They also plan to picket during the city council's budget committee hearings next week, according to AFC. Chicago currently has about 22,000 HIV-positive residents. People of color account for 77% of recently diagnosed HIV infections in Chicago. The top mode of HIV transmission in Chicago remains male-to-male sexual contact.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 1 hour 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 2 hours 12 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM