Chinese AIDS epidemic reaches "frightening" levels
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2003 1:00 AM ET
The number of AIDS patients in China is reaching "frightening" levels, a renowned expert on the disease said Friday, a day after Beijing said it would provide free treatment to thousands of sufferers in dire financial straits. "There are about a million individuals in China who are already infected," said David Ho, executive director of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center in New York City. "There are some concerns about what the epidemic will look like 10 years from now, and the numbers might be frightening to some."
Ho was in Beijing to promote an AIDS summit Monday that will include a speech by former president Clinton and wide-ranging discussions--including topics that are traditionally taboo in China, such as care programs among gays and media coverage of AIDS. It will also feature the personal account of a doctor from central China's Henan province, where an unsanitary blood-selling industry sped HIV transmission.
The problem of HIV and AIDS "is obviously a health crisis," Ho said. "When it's a problem of that magnitude, it has to be a great concern to the leadership and, I think, to the general public."
China has been slow to disclose the extent of the disease and detained two activists who distributed a government report linking AIDS to blood-selling in Henan. But Beijing has more recently shown greater willingness to confront AIDS. Executive vice health minister Gao Qiang said Thursday that 5,000 HIV and AIDS patients with "financial difficulties" will receive free treatment through next year.
- Travel First Same-Sex Couple to Wed at Roman Baths 11 min 6 sec ago
- Politics S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula 20 min 57 sec ago
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 47 min 27 sec ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 54 min 42 sec ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 1 hour 6 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 1 hour 58 min ago