Date set for verdict in Libyan AIDS trial
April 07 2004 11:00 PM ET
A Libyan court is set to announce on April 15 the verdict in the trial of six Bulgarian health workers accused of deliberately infecting 393 children in a Benghazi hospital with HIV, Agence France-Presse reports. The health workers have been jailed since 1999, and some have claimed to be victims of torture while imprisoned, including rape and receiving electrical shocks.
HIV codiscoverer Luc Montagnier previously testified at the trial that the HIV infections occurred before the health workers started their jobs at the hospital and were likely due to inadequate safety measures with medical equipment and blood products. Prosecutors claim the health workers deliberately infected the children either for medical experimentation or as part of a U.S.-Israeli plot to destabilize the country. The prosecution has called for the death penalty for all of the defendants.
The European Union has demanded that the defendants be discharged, and there have been reports that the son of Libyan leader Mu'ammar Gadhafi has also worked behind the scenes to secure their release following the verdict. A verdict in the trial has been delayed several times since late 2001, with new evidence being presented following each delay.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 27 min 9 sec ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM