New Mexico ADAP may close enrollment
June 03 2004 11:00 PM ET
In the next few weeks New Mexico health secretary Patricia Montoya is to consider a recommendation from the public health division that the state join 11 others in closing AIDS Drug Assistance Program enrollment to new clients who cannot afford anti-HIV drugs or health insurance. According to Don Torres, the state's AIDS director, New Mexico has 587 HIV-positive people who depend on the health department's dispensation of 78 different anti-HIV medications. Even as the number of patients needing the drugs has continued to rise, the state has faced flat funding from the federal government. According to PHD director Joyce Naseyowma-Chalan, 63% of the division's HIV money comes from the federal government.
In part because patients lobbied for funds, New Mexico has had one of the nation's model ADAPs. But as improved drugs have kept patients alive longer, urgency about the matter has receded, says patient advocate Dana Rice.
The POZ Coalition has worked with state senator Phil Griego to propose the Billy Griego Act to next year's legislature. Named for the senator's brother who died of AIDS complications in 1987, the act would take HIV money from the general fund and put it in a designated pool. Gov. Bill Richardson has not reviewed the proposed legislation, according to health policy adviser Jessica Sutin. (AP)
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM