BY Advocate.com Editors
August 16 2002 12:00 AM ET
New Survivor season may be gay-free
The first CBS season of the stranded-in-the-wilderness game show Survivor saw bearish and openly gay Richard Hatch take home the $1 million; the fourth and most recent season was won by a fundamentalist Christian who graciously refused to condemn gay contestant John Carroll but still made it clear, before and after her win, that she disapproved of homosexuality. The fifth contest, Survivor: Thailand, seems to be taking a card from the more recent contest: Among the 16 contestants now profiled on the CBS Web site (www.cbs.com), there's a Christian pastor and a Christian missionary-dentist, but not an openly gay or lesbian person to be found. (The contestants also lean toward the buff and fit--no bears among them.) Of course, one or more of the single folks on the show could turn out to be family--could we have the show's first out lesbian, please?--but we're not holding our breath. Not even for immunity.
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- Op-ed: Helping Gays Find Love Isn't Easy, Especially In the South
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'