BY Advocate.com Editors
August 16 2002 12:00 AM ET
New Survivor season may be gay-free
The first CBS season of the stranded-in-the-wilderness game show Survivor saw bearish and openly gay Richard Hatch take home the $1 million; the fourth and most recent season was won by a fundamentalist Christian who graciously refused to condemn gay contestant John Carroll but still made it clear, before and after her win, that she disapproved of homosexuality. The fifth contest, Survivor: Thailand, seems to be taking a card from the more recent contest: Among the 16 contestants now profiled on the CBS Web site (www.cbs.com), there's a Christian pastor and a Christian missionary-dentist, but not an openly gay or lesbian person to be found. (The contestants also lean toward the buff and fit--no bears among them.) Of course, one or more of the single folks on the show could turn out to be family--could we have the show's first out lesbian, please?--but we're not holding our breath. Not even for immunity.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'