More arrests in Miami-Dade scandal
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 20 2002 12:00 AM ET
Anthony Verdugo, chairman of the Florida Christian Coalition and a board member of antigay group Take Back Miami-Dade, was arrested Friday and charged with one count of falsely swearing that he had witnessed the signing of a petition calling for a ballot measure to repeal a 1998 ordinance that prohibits discrimination against gays, according to The Miami Herald.
Ralph Patterson, a Miami-Dade notary public, was also arrested Friday on a charge of illegally notarizing his own signature on a petition. Investigators said a third person was expected to be arrested Sunday in an ongoing investigation of how opponents of Miami-Dade County's gay rights amendment have been gathering signatures for a ballot measure that will be voted on September 10. John Aguero, special prosecutor from Polk County who is handling the yearlong investigation into allegations of forged signatures and other petition irregularities, would not identify the third person but said that individual will also be charged with falsely notarizing a petition document.
On Thursday 17-year-old Christian Montoya was arrested on a charge of falsely swearing that he saw someone sign such a petition. Montoya will be arraigned in juvenile court Monday.
Verdugo told the Herald Saturday that the arrests are a ploy to embarrass Take Back Miami-Dade and are part of "a vast left-wing conspiracy by corrupt enemies of the democracy."
No to Discrimination/SAVE Dade, the group fighting to keep the amendment, called Verdugo's claim outrageous. "They lied to voters to get the signatures, they falsified additional signatures, they manipulated the system to get the investigation moved to another prosecutor, and now they claim to be victims of the prosecutor they chose?" SAVE Dade chairwoman Heddy Pena said. "It's outrageous that they would claim to be victims after perpetrating one fraud after another."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 1 hour 47 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM