Connecticut top court may review civil unions
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 29 2002 12:00 AM ET
A retired Greenwich, Conn., businessman has asked the state supreme court to dissolve a civil union he and his partner obtained two years ago in Vermont. Glen Rosengarten, 54, filed a petition with the state supreme court earlier this month after state superior and appellate court judges ruled that they had no jurisdiction over civil union matters because Connecticut does not recognize same-sex unions.
Rosengarten and his former partner, Peter Downes of New York City, entered into a civil union in Vermont on New Year's Eve 2000. But their 15-year relationship ended shortly afterward. Vermont would not dissolve the civil union because state law requires that at least one party be a legal resident of the state before family courts can rule on a dissolution. The law allows anyone to obtain a civil union license, which grants legal rights similar to those of marriage.
"I'm looking for closure from both a legal and a moral point of view so I can move on with my life," Rosengarten told the Greenwich Time. "I feel since I'm entered into a civil union in Vermont, it prohibits my freedoms from moving on with anybody I may meet and want to have a further relationship with."
Rosengarten's lawyers, Gary Cohen of Greenwich and Kenneth Bartschi of Hartford, say Connecticut's lower courts do have jurisdiction to decide the matter. They also said that the lack of a Connecticut law recognizing same-sex unions should not preclude the state from dissolving unions obtained in other states.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 54 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 6 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM