Hospital error cited in gay-bashing victim's death
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 29 2002 12:00 AM ET
A coroner's report has revealed that a man stabbed outside a Riverside, Calif., gay bar in June may have bled to death because a nurse gave him a drug that prevented his blood from clotting. Coroner's officials said in their report, which was released this week, that a nurse accidentally gave 40-year-old Jeffrey Owens 100,000 units of an anticoagulant drug. The amount was 100 times the recommended dose, the report said. Owens bled to death at Riverside County Regional Medical Center in Moreno Valley.
Five alleged gang members have been charged with Owens's murder. They have pleaded innocent to murder, gang, and hate-crime charges. Authorities said the five defendants attacked Owens outside a Riverside bar on June 5 because he was gay. His friend, Michael Bussee, also was beaten and stabbed but survived the attack. Prosecutors said Tuesday that the hospital's error does not lessen the culpability of those facing murder charges. "Were it not for the stab wound, he would not be dead," deputy district attorney Anne Corrado said.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 7 min 28 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 38 min 48 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 54 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM