Oregon's Smith launches pro-gay reelection campaign
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 24 2002 12:00 AM ET
U.S. senator Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) has launched what appears to be the first-ever ad for a statewide political campaign that promotes a candidate's favorable stand on gay issues, The New York Times reports. The 30-second TV spot features Matthew Shepard's mother, Judy Shepard, talking about Smith's outspoken support for federal hate-crimes legislation. "My son Matthew was viciously murdered simply because he was gay," Shepard says in the commercial, which is filled with soft-focus images of her son. "Gordon Smith stands with me in the fight against hate.... I would consider Gordon to be a good friend because he's very compassionate. Matthew would have liked Gordon a lot." Smith's chief of staff, John Easton, told the Times that the ad is meant to convey that Smith is an independent Republican.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown