Oregon's Smith launches pro-gay reelection campaign
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 24 2002 12:00 AM ET
U.S. senator Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) has launched what appears to be the first-ever ad for a statewide political campaign that promotes a candidate's favorable stand on gay issues, The New York Times reports. The 30-second TV spot features Matthew Shepard's mother, Judy Shepard, talking about Smith's outspoken support for federal hate-crimes legislation. "My son Matthew was viciously murdered simply because he was gay," Shepard says in the commercial, which is filled with soft-focus images of her son. "Gordon Smith stands with me in the fight against hate.... I would consider Gordon to be a good friend because he's very compassionate. Matthew would have liked Gordon a lot." Smith's chief of staff, John Easton, told the Times that the ad is meant to convey that Smith is an independent Republican.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'