New York county passes DP bill
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 24 2002 11:00 PM ET
The Westchester County, N.Y., legislature has voted to establish a domestic-partnership registry that will make it easier for unmarried couples, whether heterosexual or homosexual, to get some of the benefits usually reserved for husbands and wives. The registry could help an unmarried partner collect life insurance, for example, or visit a partner in the hospital. The 12-5 vote Monday night was mostly along party lines, with one Republican joining the chamber's Democrats in support of the measure. County executive Andrew Spano is expected to sign it into law.
In New York City, which already has a far-reaching domestic-partnership law, the city council will soon act on a bill that would require the city's contractors to provide benefits to their employees' domestic partners. The bill was announced Monday by comptroller William Thompson and several city council members. Companies whose contracts are worth at least $100,000 would be affected by the law. The bill would apply only to those employees who are registered with their employers as domestic partners and recognized as such under city law.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 18 min 3 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 19 min 13 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 49 min 32 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 20 min ago
- News New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action 1 hour 52 min ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 54 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 1 hour 57 min ago