Gay couple baptizes quads
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 29 2002 1:00 AM ET
Michael Meehan and his partner, Thomas Dysarz, celebrated the baptism of their 3-month-old quadruplets Saturday in the Roman Catholic Church, despite the doctrine that homosexual acts are sinful. Father Paul Prabell blessed the men as he would any other parents and baptized their daughter and three sons at Cathedral of Christ the King in Lexington, Ky.
"This is what Christ would do," said Meehan, the quadruplets' biological father, after the ceremony. "He blessed people who were cast out of the church. [The babies] are God's children. That's how the church should view it." The ceremony, attended by about 30 friends and relatives, marked the children's birth as Christians.
Prabell said Saturday that he doesn't recall ever baptizing a child of an openly gay parent. Baptizing quadruplets was also a first for him.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- He Said, She Said: Privilege Check On I Am Cait
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor