Gay couple baptizes quads
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 29 2002 12:00 AM ET
Michael Meehan and his partner, Thomas Dysarz, celebrated the baptism of their 3-month-old quadruplets Saturday in the Roman Catholic Church, despite the doctrine that homosexual acts are sinful. Father Paul Prabell blessed the men as he would any other parents and baptized their daughter and three sons at Cathedral of Christ the King in Lexington, Ky.
"This is what Christ would do," said Meehan, the quadruplets' biological father, after the ceremony. "He blessed people who were cast out of the church. [The babies] are God's children. That's how the church should view it." The ceremony, attended by about 30 friends and relatives, marked the children's birth as Christians.
Prabell said Saturday that he doesn't recall ever baptizing a child of an openly gay parent. Baptizing quadruplets was also a first for him.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay 2 hours 6 min ago
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies 2 hours 39 min ago
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 6:18 PM
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 6:13 PM