Gay couple baptizes quads
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 29 2002 1:00 AM ET
Michael Meehan and his partner, Thomas Dysarz, celebrated the baptism of their 3-month-old quadruplets Saturday in the Roman Catholic Church, despite the doctrine that homosexual acts are sinful. Father Paul Prabell blessed the men as he would any other parents and baptized their daughter and three sons at Cathedral of Christ the King in Lexington, Ky.
"This is what Christ would do," said Meehan, the quadruplets' biological father, after the ceremony. "He blessed people who were cast out of the church. [The babies] are God's children. That's how the church should view it." The ceremony, attended by about 30 friends and relatives, marked the children's birth as Christians.
Prabell said Saturday that he doesn't recall ever baptizing a child of an openly gay parent. Baptizing quadruplets was also a first for him.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM