Priest: "70% of my peers are gay"
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 30 2002 1:00 AM ET
The Catholic priest who officiated at the wedding of John F. Kennedy Jr. is writing a tell-all book about his life in the priesthood, reports Newsday, and it's not likely to please the church hierarchy. In his book, tentatively titled Going My Way, Charles O'Byrne said he will write, among other things, about gay priests he encountered as a seminarian and later as a priest.
Sexual hypocrisy underlies the priest sex-abuse scandal that has rocked the Roman Catholic Church in America since January, he said, and it was that hypocrisy that finally drove him from the Jesuit priesthood. O'Byrne specifically addressed the issue of gay priests, saying the American Catholic Church may not be able to stay within the Vatican fold if Rome continues to maintain certain blatant contradictions. He cited the church's insistence that homosexuality is an "intrinsic evil," even though the church has a significant number of priests who are gay. Asked to estimate the percentage of American priests who are gay, O'Byrne, 43, said, "In my peer group, I can easily say 70% comfortably--no question about it."
For O'Byrne, conflict over sexual orientation will continue to roil the institution and its believers. "The tensions created by the number of priests who happen to be gay...[are] going to lead, I predict, to an even greater" crisis within the church, he said.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Truly Social Networking
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Transgender 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature 5 min 40 sec ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time 8 min 14 sec ago
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 14 min 27 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 33 min 58 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 37 min 53 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 37 min 54 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 38 min 4 sec ago