Eugene, Ore., approves DP registry
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 15 2002 1:00 AM ET
The city council of Eugene, Ore., has approved creation of a domestic-partnership registry for same-sex couples and unmarried heterosexual couples. Eugene's partnership registry will be Oregon's third, following an Ashland registry and a joint registry in Portland and Multnomah County.
The registry is an official but largely symbolic recognition of committed relationships that will be open to any couple, regardless of where they live, as long as each partner is 18 or older and the couples aren't blood relatives--the same requirements for those wishing to marry in the state.
Meanwhile, proposed protections for transgendered people failed to gain approval after Eugene mayor Jim Torrey threatened to veto the entire package of human rights code revisions if it included a guarantee of "reasonable accommodations" for transgendered people in buildings open to the public. Torrey cited privacy and cost issues that might arise if transsexuals were given their own facilities or allowed access to their choice of gender-specific rest rooms, dressing rooms, and showers.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM