Baptist college debates antidiscrimination proposal
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 12 2002 12:00 AM ET
A proposal to add sexual orientation to the list of protected characteristics in William Jewell College's student bill of rights has sparked fierce debate at the Baptist liberal arts college, reports The Kansas City Star.
Supporters said that, as a liberal arts college, William Jewell is long overdue in considering such a change. Opponents, however, counter that it would condone homosexuality and contradict the college's Christian mission. Detractors also worry that the amendment would jeopardize funding from the Missouri Baptist Convention.
The bill's author, B.J. Cardin, a junior senator, argues that the current student bill of rights does not represent the entire campus. Cardin said that in essence the college community is excluding gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, and transsexuals.
"On a Christian campus, it's difficult to bring up sexual orientation because people bring out their Bibles and point out 'but God said it's a sin,' " he said. "I'm not trying to convince people that homosexuality is not right or a sin, but because [gay people] are on this campus, they should be represented in the bill of rights."
Cardin said he thought of introducing the bill in light of the college's recent focus on diversity: "What I realized is that we're pushing diversity but that our own student bill of rights…doesn't address all the areas of diversity."
The bill needs a three-fourths majority to pass in the student senate. If it is approved, the bill then undergoes a campus vote. The measure would need a simple majority to pass.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM