Regence BlueShield expands DP coverage
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
A year after a lesbian child-care worker in Wallingford, Wash., tried to get health insurance for her partner, Regence BlueShield is extending coverage to domestic partners working at small businesses, reports the Seattle Times.
With the change, which takes effect January 1, Regence becomes the last major insurer in the Puget Sound region to make coverage for unmarried couples available to businesses regardless of their size.
"We were just delighted," said Pam Xander, a board member with the Wallingford United Methodist Childcare Center. "I know lots of small companies have been lobbying for this."
With just two dozen employees, the Wallingford child-care center didn't have the option of offering Regence health insurance to the partner of a gay employee. That prompted Xander to seek help from Rep. Ed Murray, a Democratic state lawmaker from Seattle who is gay and who has pushed for coverage for domestic partners.
Xander said the center's board considered switching to Premera Blue Cross, which does offer domestic-partner benefits to small companies, before recently learning of Regence's decision.
Chris Bruzzo, spokesman for Regence, said more small businesses are wanting to add domestic partners of employees to their insurance plans. Bruzzo said Regence held off on giving that option to firms with 99 or fewer workers--who account for one third of the private work force in the United States--because of concerns about underwriting risks.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM