BY Advocate.com Editors
January 08 2003 1:00 AM ET
k.d. lang and Melissa Etheridge among Grammy nominees
Nominations were announced Tuesday for the 45th annual Grammy Awards, and several gay and lesbian artists will be competing in various categories. Vocalist k.d. lang was nominated for Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals for "What a Wonderful World," performed with Tony Bennett on the pair's A Wonderful World album. Michael Feinstein With the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra is in the running for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, and Meshell Ndegeocello's Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape got a nod as Best Contemporary R&B Album. Melissa Etheridge's "The Weakness in Me" is up for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance, and the Best Musical Show Album category includes entries from out composers and lyricists Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (Hairspray), Stephen Sondheim (Into the Woods), and Dick Scanlan (Thoroughly Modern Millie). The Grammys will be presented February 23.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality