NYPD sergeant alleges antigay discrimination
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 10 2003 1:00 AM ET
A sergeant with the New York Police Department has filed a discrimination suit saying an inspector damaged his career by insinuating that he is gay, according to Newsday.
Sgt. Robert Sorrenti alleges in his suit, which also names the NYPD, that Insp. James Hall, head of Community Affairs, grilled him "extensively and inappropriately about his personal life" when Sorrenti applied in late 2001 for a transfer from the 76th Precinct to Youth Services, which is part of Community Affairs. Hall also asked Sorrenti about the nature of his relationship with a male officer who had accused Sorrenti of harassing him, an allegation the department had already found to be unsubstantiated.
Sorrenti says that even though he did well in interviews with two other supervisors, he was denied the transfer because Hall "engaged in rumor, innuendo, and gossip" about Sorrenti's sexual orientation.
"Hall disqualified Sorrenti from a number of supervisory assignments within the Youth Services section because he perceived Sorrenti to be a gay man and because he did not want a gay man around children," the suit reads.
Sorrenti, a 15-year veteran still assigned to the 76th Precinct, would not comment on the suit, but his lawyer, Colleen Meenan, said her client "resents the implication that he's a gay man. He does not identify as a gay man."
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM