Florida county passes "all-inclusive" discrimination ban
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 13 2003 12:00 AM ET
Florida's Collier County Commission approved a resolution Tuesday banning discrimination against all county residents. The resolution, passed 4-1, calls for county staff to refer discrimination complaints to state or federal authorities. Commissioners unanimously rejected a similar resolution on December 17, saying they were uncomfortable with the proposal's unknown consequences. It would have created an 11-member panel to look into allegations of discrimination. The previous resolution specifically included protection for gays and lesbians. The new resolution does not list any specific protected classes but says the county prohibits all discrimination. Critics say Collier County should take an active role against discrimination instead of simply referring people to state and federal agencies. "This is like putting a Band-Aid on someone who had their leg amputated," said LaVerne Franklin, president of the Collier County chapter of the NAACP.
At least five Florida localities passed or upheld gay rights ordinances last year--Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties and the cities of St. Petersburg, Sarasota, and Orlando. Other Florida localities that had similar protections on the books before 2002 were Alachua, Broward, Escambia, and Leon counties as well as the cities of Gainesville, Key West, Miami Beach, Tampa, and Wilton Manors.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 30 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 33 min 5 sec ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 48 min 4 sec ago
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 52 min 26 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 3:20 PM
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 3:15 PM
- Travel Wanna Go to the SAG Awards in L.A.? 3:11 PM