Florida man pleads guilty to gay bashing
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
A Clearwater, Fla., man pleaded guilty to beating up three men who were leaving a gay pride party last year and now faces up to 30 years in prison. Devin Scott Angus, 21, pleaded guilty Monday to three counts of aggravated battery and four counts of a hate-crime battery. His sentencing is scheduled for April 21. "I hope he gets some prison time, plus counseling," said Stephen Hair, 26, one of Angus's three victims.
The assault happened July 7, on the last day of PrideFest, a six-day Tampa-St. Petersburg event. Hair and his companion, Sonny Gonzales, 35, and their friend Scott Boswell, 25, were leaving the event when they were confronted by Angus, who yelled an antigay slur at them and screamed obscenities before punching and kicking them, police said.
Gonzales suffered blows to the back of the head that opened his scalp. Hair suffered a skull fracture, a cracked sinus, and a broken front tooth. Boswell suffered a split lip. Hair said he has been to the dentist 18 times and needs additional visits to fix his teeth. Authorities have not identified a second man who participated in the attack, said Pam Bondi, spokeswoman for the Hillsborough County state attorney.
Angus is currently free on $6,000 bail.
- Politics India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists 22 min 57 sec ago
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 25 min 13 sec ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 1 hour 32 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 1 hour 38 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 2 hours 6 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 2 hours 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 2 hours 37 min ago