Florida man pleads guilty to gay bashing
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 03 2003 1:00 AM ET
A Clearwater, Fla., man pleaded guilty to beating up three men who were leaving a gay pride party last year and now faces up to 30 years in prison. Devin Scott Angus, 21, pleaded guilty Monday to three counts of aggravated battery and four counts of a hate-crime battery. His sentencing is scheduled for April 21. "I hope he gets some prison time, plus counseling," said Stephen Hair, 26, one of Angus's three victims.
The assault happened July 7, on the last day of PrideFest, a six-day Tampa-St. Petersburg event. Hair and his companion, Sonny Gonzales, 35, and their friend Scott Boswell, 25, were leaving the event when they were confronted by Angus, who yelled an antigay slur at them and screamed obscenities before punching and kicking them, police said.
Gonzales suffered blows to the back of the head that opened his scalp. Hair suffered a skull fracture, a cracked sinus, and a broken front tooth. Boswell suffered a split lip. Hair said he has been to the dentist 18 times and needs additional visits to fix his teeth. Authorities have not identified a second man who participated in the attack, said Pam Bondi, spokeswoman for the Hillsborough County state attorney.
Angus is currently free on $6,000 bail.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 2 hours 51 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM