Students handed antigay pamphlets
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 17 2003 12:00 AM ET
A Christian group that considers homosexuality immoral distributed antigay leaflets to students entering an Augusta, Maine, civil rights conference Tuesday. Michael Heath, executive director of the Christian Civic League of Maine, said 15 clergymen handed out the literature at doors to the Augusta Civic Center, where the daylong Maine Civil Rights Team Conference was being held. At least half of the students refused to take the pamphlets, Heath said.
League members were concerned about the content of some of the 30 workshops, including two in which discrimination against gay people was discussed. One of the workshops is a presentation in which gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered young people tell their own stories and discuss how peers can
support them. Another was a performance of the The Laramie Project, a play that focuses on the murder of Matthew Shepard.
Tom Harnett, a lawyer in the state attorney general's office, which organizes the annual event, said the Maine Civil Rights Act protects citizens from violence stemming from bias related to race, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation, among other traits. It would not make sense to exclude presentations on antigay bias at a civil rights conference, he said, noting that the victims in one third of Maine's civil rights violations were targeted because of their sexual orientation.
The Christian Civic League claims that the attorney general's office was sponsoring "homosexual indoctrination for 13-year-olds" and wants public funding for the conference discontinued.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 5 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 5 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 23 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 2 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 8 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 32 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 40 min ago