Man convicted of murdering ex-boyfriend's daughter
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 23 2003 11:00 PM ET
A Boulder, Colo., man was convicted of murder Tuesday in the stabbing death of a teenage girl whose father had just broken up with him. Robert Powers, 39, will receive a sentence of life imprisonment without parole, the only option under state law after prosecutors said they would not seek the death penalty. Powers was convicted of killing 19-year-old Angie Fuentes on September 20 at an Old Navy store where she worked. Prosecutors said he stabbed her to get revenge against her father, Herman Fuentes, who had broken up with Powers.
"It was a vicious murder, and it deserved a first-degree murder conviction," prosecutor D.D. Mallard said. "I'm very pleased with the verdict."
The defense had argued that Powers "snapped" mentally and wasn't fully responsible for his actions. His attorneys sought a conviction on a lesser charge.
Six eyewitnesses testified at the trial. One, Kurt Van Raden, said that after the stabbing Powers said, "She can thank her father for this." The jury deliberated for about two hours before returning a verdict.
In a taped interview with police shown to jurors Monday, Powers said he had warned Herman Fuentes a "zillion" times that he would hurt the Fuentes family if he was jilted.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM