Washington Post publishes gay marriage announcement
July 23 2003 11:00 PM ET
The Washington Post on Wednesday published the announcement of Deb Price and Joyce Murdoch's wedding--their legal marriage in Canada--one of the first announcements of a legal same-sex marriage to run in a major U.S. newspaper. The move was also the first placement of a same-sex couple's wedding announcement on the Weddings page by the Post. The Post's rule has long been that the Weddings page is open only to couples who are announcing an engagement to be legally wed, have just been legally wed, or are celebrating the anniversary of their lawful marriage. Other sorts of announcements, including civil unions, run on the Post's Celebrations page. Wednesday's announcement ran on the Weddings page.
Deb Price and Joyce Murdoch were married at 10:30 a.m. on June 27 in Toronto City Hall's wedding chapel by Officiant George McConnachie. A couple since 1985, Price and Murdoch met at The Washington Post, where they both were employed as editors. In November 1993 they became the first registered domestic partners in their hometown of Takoma Park, Md. In May 1995, on the day of their 10th anniversary, they were denied a marriage license at the Montgomery County, Md., courthouse. On July 2, 2000, they were united in a civil union by Justice of the Peace Keith Goslant in Plainfield, Vt.
Murdoch is now managing editor for politics at National Journal magazine. Price is a nationally syndicated columnist on gay issues for The Detroit News, where she also covers Congress out of the Washington bureau.
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 49 min 26 sec ago
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 1 hour 19 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 2 hours 49 min ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 4:00 AM
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM