Bush twins may attend gay wedding
August 19 2004 12:00 AM ET
Despite their father's strident opposition to same-sex marriage, it appears that President Bush's twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara, may be attending the wedding of a gay couple in Maryland next month, according to the New York Daily News's gossip columnist Lloyd Grove. Washington-area beautician Erwin Gomez and his longtime partner, James Packard, plan to celebrate their marital vows with 400 of their closest friends, including the Bush twins--two of Gomez's best customers. The 39-year-old Gomez--a makeup expert for the Elizabeth Arden shop in the D.C. suburb of Chevy Chase, Md.--told Grove that the "first twins" have become devotees of his popular eyebrow waxes over the past few weeks. And, he added, they have expressed an enthusiastic desire to go to Gomez and Packard's September 11 wedding celebration at their home in Laytonsville, Md. "I gave them the party invitation, and they said, 'That sounds great, we'd love to come--it sounds like a lot of fun,'" Gomez said.
In February, President Bush voiced his support for a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage. Gomez told Grove he holds the hard-carousing Bush girls in high regard but is disgusted by their father's support for a federal ban on same-sex marriage. "I think it's wrong--he has no right to touch that," he said. "He's trying to change the freedom of America.... History is repeating itself, just like blacks and Jews were discriminated against."
As for the Bush sisters, "I've done their eyebrows three times--they usually just call my cell and pop in," said Gomez, who also plucks and waxes the eyebrows of Saudi princess Haifa. The Bush girls' spokeswoman, Susan Whitson, told the Daily News on Tuesday, "At this point I cannot confirm that the twins are attending. I only comment on official campaign activities."
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM