BY Michelle Garcia
August 25 2009 3:30 PM ET
Sally Kern, the Oklahoma state legislator who was famously caught on tape spouting homophobic messages and comparing gays to terrorists, may face her philosophical opposite at the ballot box in 2010.
Brittany Novotny, a transgender attorney in Oklahoma City, is reportedly raising funds for a possible campaign against Kern, according to Gossip Boy. Novotny is a member of the Young Democrats of Oklahoma and is an LGBT Caucus National Committee representative. She started practicing law in 2007 at her private firm, specializing in civil rights and employment law.
Kern defeated Democrat Ronald Wasson for her state house seat in 2004 by a two-to-one margin. She ran unopposed in 2006, and won with 58% of the vote in 2008 against Democrat Ron Marlett.
Novotny's official campaign announcement is expected in October.
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- Italy: Restaurant Fires Server for Printing Antigay Slur on Check
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate