BY Michelle Garcia
August 25 2009 3:30 PM ET
Sally Kern, the Oklahoma state legislator who was famously caught on tape spouting homophobic messages and comparing gays to terrorists, may face her philosophical opposite at the ballot box in 2010.
Brittany Novotny, a transgender attorney in Oklahoma City, is reportedly raising funds for a possible campaign against Kern, according to Gossip Boy. Novotny is a member of the Young Democrats of Oklahoma and is an LGBT Caucus National Committee representative. She started practicing law in 2007 at her private firm, specializing in civil rights and employment law.
Kern defeated Democrat Ronald Wasson for her state house seat in 2004 by a two-to-one margin. She ran unopposed in 2006, and won with 58% of the vote in 2008 against Democrat Ron Marlett.
Novotny's official campaign announcement is expected in October.
- From Jail, Kim Davis Still Refuses to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Mike Huckabee Urges 'Free Kim Davis'; Others Call Her a Rosa Parks
- Mo. Trans Student's Bathroom Struggle Is History Repeating Itself
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation