BY Michelle Garcia
August 28 2009 8:10 PM ET
An upcoming documentary about Playboy founder Hugh Hefner reveals information about his earlier years, including his early advocacy for gay inclusiveness.
When Esquire rejected a science-fiction short story by Charles Beaumont that depicted a world where heterosexuals were in the minority, Hefner accepted the piece and published it in a 1955 edition of Playboy, then still a relatively new publication.
After letters of outrage at Beaumont's "The Crooked Man" poured in, Hefner addressed readers. "If it was wrong to persecute heterosexuals in a homosexual society," he wrote in response, "then the reverse was wrong, too."
Even now, the twice-divorced 83-year-old entrepreneur, famous for his numerous romantic exploits over the years, tells The Daily Beast that gay marriage isn't hurting anyone.
"Without question, love in its various permutations is what we need more of in this world," he said. "The idea that the concept of marriage will be sullied by same-sex marriage is ridiculous. Heterosexuals haven't been doing that well at it on their own."
The documentary, Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel, will premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV
- India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists
- Politics India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists 34 min 21 sec ago
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 36 min 37 sec ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 1 hour 44 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 1 hour 49 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 2 hours 18 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 2 hours 39 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 2 hours 48 min ago