BY Michelle Garcia
September 04 2009 11:25 AM ET
A straight Mormon couple in Utah faced the state supreme court to evaluate the validity of their marriage.
and Ina Johnson had filed for divorce after a 35-year relationship in
which they shared insurance policies and joint tax filings, according
to the Deseret News.
However, during divorce proceedings it was revealed that they were never actually married. Since they split in 2001, Ina Jo hnson claims that she is still owed alimony, while Neldon counters she is ineligible because their marriage was never valid. Court papers show they claimed to be married in Arizona in 1964, and then had their marriage blessed at a Mormon temple in Manti, Utah, in 1965.
According to the report, Mormons who are civilly married typically will later go to an LDS temple to take part in a religious ceremony. But when the Johnsons went for their wedding service they apparently weren't required to show a marriage license, and went through the ceremony under the guise that they were already married, attorney Denver Snuffer said in the article.
The court is now considering the rights of the court to rule on marriages that are not actually legal by state law.
Neldon said the couple believed they had a common-law marriage due to the length of their relationship, but their attorneys realized they might not because Ina was only 15 when they claimed to be married. She would not have been old enough to give consent to such a union.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 1 hour 39 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 51 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 2 hours 10 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 2 hours 36 min ago
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM