BY Advocate.com Editors
February 23 2010 12:35 PM ET
Rock band Vampire Weekend is making headlines for its much-publicized “Giving Up the Gun” music video starring Joe Jonas and Jake Gyllenhaal as dueling tennis players, but keyboardist Rostam Batmanglij is also making a splash of his own, confirming to Out magazine that he’s gay.
Batmanglij talked with the magazine about injecting a “homosexual perspective” into some of the band’s songs and a track off the band’s debut album, “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend,” he says he had hoped would become a gay anthem.
“With that song I was having fun, but at the same time it was honest — those lyrics are meaningful to me, they come from my heart,” he says. “I was disappointed when it didn’t become a gay anthem, but, you know, it’s not too late.”
Read the full interview here.
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 6 min 20 sec ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 18 min 15 sec ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 35 min 3 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 1 hour 34 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 1 hour 40 min ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 2 hours 24 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 2 hours 24 min ago