BY Advocate.com Editors
February 23 2010 1:35 PM ET
Rock band Vampire Weekend is making headlines for its much-publicized “Giving Up the Gun” music video starring Joe Jonas and Jake Gyllenhaal as dueling tennis players, but keyboardist Rostam Batmanglij is also making a splash of his own, confirming to Out magazine that he’s gay.
Batmanglij talked with the magazine about injecting a “homosexual perspective” into some of the band’s songs and a track off the band’s debut album, “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend,” he says he had hoped would become a gay anthem.
“With that song I was having fun, but at the same time it was honest — those lyrics are meaningful to me, they come from my heart,” he says. “I was disappointed when it didn’t become a gay anthem, but, you know, it’s not too late.”
Read the full interview here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 26 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 2 hours 23 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 2 hours 26 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM