BY Advocate.com Editors
February 23 2010 1:35 PM ET
Rock band Vampire Weekend is making headlines for its much-publicized “Giving Up the Gun” music video starring Joe Jonas and Jake Gyllenhaal as dueling tennis players, but keyboardist Rostam Batmanglij is also making a splash of his own, confirming to Out magazine that he’s gay.
Batmanglij talked with the magazine about injecting a “homosexual perspective” into some of the band’s songs and a track off the band’s debut album, “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend,” he says he had hoped would become a gay anthem.
“With that song I was having fun, but at the same time it was honest — those lyrics are meaningful to me, they come from my heart,” he says. “I was disappointed when it didn’t become a gay anthem, but, you know, it’s not too late.”
Read the full interview here.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men