BY Advocate.com Editors
February 23 2010 1:35 PM ET
Rock band Vampire Weekend is making headlines for its much-publicized “Giving Up the Gun” music video starring Joe Jonas and Jake Gyllenhaal as dueling tennis players, but keyboardist Rostam Batmanglij is also making a splash of his own, confirming to Out magazine that he’s gay.
Batmanglij talked with the magazine about injecting a “homosexual perspective” into some of the band’s songs and a track off the band’s debut album, “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend,” he says he had hoped would become a gay anthem.
“With that song I was having fun, but at the same time it was honest — those lyrics are meaningful to me, they come from my heart,” he says. “I was disappointed when it didn’t become a gay anthem, but, you know, it’s not too late.”
Read the full interview here.
- Why Are We Gay?
- Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Denies Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- WATCH: Protesters Tell Antigay Kentucky Clerk 'Do Your Job!' in Showdown With Her Supporters
- Op-ed: It's Hard Out There for a Femme
- 14 Ex-Ex Gays Paving the Way Forward