BY Advocate.com Editors
February 23 2010 1:35 PM ET
Rock band Vampire Weekend is making headlines for its much-publicized “Giving Up the Gun” music video starring Joe Jonas and Jake Gyllenhaal as dueling tennis players, but keyboardist Rostam Batmanglij is also making a splash of his own, confirming to Out magazine that he’s gay.
Batmanglij talked with the magazine about injecting a “homosexual perspective” into some of the band’s songs and a track off the band’s debut album, “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend,” he says he had hoped would become a gay anthem.
“With that song I was having fun, but at the same time it was honest — those lyrics are meaningful to me, they come from my heart,” he says. “I was disappointed when it didn’t become a gay anthem, but, you know, it’s not too late.”
Read the full interview here.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player