BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2010 7:35 PM ET
Nine U.S. senators have been added as cosponsors of the bill to repeal the military's ban on openly gay and lesbian service members.
Along with the 13 original cosponsors who introduced the bill with its lead sponsors, senators Joe Lieberman and Carl Levin, senators John Kerry (D-Mass.), Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Tom Udall (D-N.M.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Bob Casey (D-Pa.), and Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) have signed on to the bill, according to a press release issued Tuesday.
“As we continue to fight two wars, our national security depends on a strong and talented military,” Casey said in a statement. “And ending this discriminatory practice is the right thing to do for our military and for those who want to openly serve their country. I am pleased to join my colleagues in the Senate, as well as the effort led by Patrick Murphy in the House that continues to draw the support of past and present military leaders and other officials.”
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 1 hour 8 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 20 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM