BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2010 6:35 PM ET
Nine U.S. senators have been added as cosponsors of the bill to repeal the military's ban on openly gay and lesbian service members.
Along with the 13 original cosponsors who introduced the bill with its lead sponsors, senators Joe Lieberman and Carl Levin, senators John Kerry (D-Mass.), Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Tom Udall (D-N.M.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Bob Casey (D-Pa.), and Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) have signed on to the bill, according to a press release issued Tuesday.
“As we continue to fight two wars, our national security depends on a strong and talented military,” Casey said in a statement. “And ending this discriminatory practice is the right thing to do for our military and for those who want to openly serve their country. I am pleased to join my colleagues in the Senate, as well as the effort led by Patrick Murphy in the House that continues to draw the support of past and present military leaders and other officials.”
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 43 min 47 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians 1 hour 11 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 2 hours 59 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 3:57 PM
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 3:50 PM
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 3:39 PM