BY Michelle Garcia
March 11 2010 3:10 PM ET
Fox News host Bill O'Reilly came to the defense of a child who was barred from re-enrolling at the Sacred Heart of Jesus School in Boulder, Colo., because the child's parents are lesbians.
Talking to Fox contributor and Catholic priest Father Jonathan Morris, O'Reilly said that he found the school refusing to readmit a current preschooler for kindergarten next fall because the child's parents are lesbians was "a bit harsh, and I don't know if Jesus would have made the same call. Kids have no power over who their parents are."
Morris said the issue was about the church being able to enforce its beliefs.
"But I'm going to submit to you that heterosexual couples — because we're all sinners — what if it's a divorced couple, and the person remarries outside of the church," O'Reilly said. "Are you going to expel those kids?" He added that there could also be instances of kids whose parents run into legal troubles or are living together out of wedlock.
Morris countered that it was the decision of the parents to send their child to a Catholic school and that it then becomes their job to teach the Catholic faith.
Watch the exchange below:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM