Maddow Addresses Smith Commencement
BY Julie Bolcer
May 17 2010 6:55 AM ET
Rachel Maddow addressed the class of 2010 at Smith College on Sunday. The MSNBC host told the graduates, “Personal triumphs are overrated.”
Maddow invoked the destructive obsession of the early-20th century Prohibition campaigner Carry Nation to support her point about the dangers of overly zealous agendas. She compared the corruption of the Prohibition era to the Interior Department under the Bush administration, with “that one office where they were snorting meth off the toaster oven.”
Smith College also bestowed the degree of doctor of laws honoris causa on Maddow.
“When given the choice between fame and glory, take glory,” said Maddow to the 800 graduates.
Watch the video of the speech below.
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM