Maddow Addresses Smith Commencement
BY Julie Bolcer
May 17 2010 6:55 AM ET
Rachel Maddow addressed the class of 2010 at Smith College on Sunday. The MSNBC host told the graduates, “Personal triumphs are overrated.”
Maddow invoked the destructive obsession of the early-20th century Prohibition campaigner Carry Nation to support her point about the dangers of overly zealous agendas. She compared the corruption of the Prohibition era to the Interior Department under the Bush administration, with “that one office where they were snorting meth off the toaster oven.”
Smith College also bestowed the degree of doctor of laws honoris causa on Maddow.
“When given the choice between fame and glory, take glory,” said Maddow to the 800 graduates.
Watch the video of the speech below.
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- 90,000-Plus and Counting: Petition to Cancel Duggars' Show Gains Momentum
- PHOTOS: Jesus Days
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime