Maddow Addresses Smith Commencement
BY Julie Bolcer
May 17 2010 7:55 AM ET
Rachel Maddow addressed the class of 2010 at Smith College on Sunday. The MSNBC host told the graduates, “Personal triumphs are overrated.”
Maddow invoked the destructive obsession of the early-20th century Prohibition campaigner Carry Nation to support her point about the dangers of overly zealous agendas. She compared the corruption of the Prohibition era to the Interior Department under the Bush administration, with “that one office where they were snorting meth off the toaster oven.”
Smith College also bestowed the degree of doctor of laws honoris causa on Maddow.
“When given the choice between fame and glory, take glory,” said Maddow to the 800 graduates.
Watch the video of the speech below.
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate
- #27BiStories: When Did You Come Out? What Was the Response Like?
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight