Maddow Addresses Smith Commencement
BY Julie Bolcer
May 17 2010 7:55 AM ET
Rachel Maddow addressed the class of 2010 at Smith College on Sunday. The MSNBC host told the graduates, “Personal triumphs are overrated.”
Maddow invoked the destructive obsession of the early-20th century Prohibition campaigner Carry Nation to support her point about the dangers of overly zealous agendas. She compared the corruption of the Prohibition era to the Interior Department under the Bush administration, with “that one office where they were snorting meth off the toaster oven.”
Smith College also bestowed the degree of doctor of laws honoris causa on Maddow.
“When given the choice between fame and glory, take glory,” said Maddow to the 800 graduates.
Watch the video of the speech below.
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- He Went There: Antigay Judge Roy Moore Compares Marriage Equality to Holocaust
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet