Maddow Addresses Smith Commencement
BY Julie Bolcer
May 17 2010 7:55 AM ET
Rachel Maddow addressed the class of 2010 at Smith College on Sunday. The MSNBC host told the graduates, “Personal triumphs are overrated.”
Maddow invoked the destructive obsession of the early-20th century Prohibition campaigner Carry Nation to support her point about the dangers of overly zealous agendas. She compared the corruption of the Prohibition era to the Interior Department under the Bush administration, with “that one office where they were snorting meth off the toaster oven.”
Smith College also bestowed the degree of doctor of laws honoris causa on Maddow.
“When given the choice between fame and glory, take glory,” said Maddow to the 800 graduates.
Watch the video of the speech below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 44 min 56 sec ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 1 hour 26 min ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 1 hour 28 min ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 1 hour 29 min ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 1 hour 38 min ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 1 hour 57 min ago