Cristiano Ronaldo Supports Gay Marriage
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 02 2010 6:10 PM ET
Soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo typically talks sports with reporters. But in an interview for the upcoming World Cup, Ronaldo got serious when he was asked for his opinion on the legalization of same-sex marriage in Portugal.
"The Portuguese man that I am, I try to keep informed about what is happening in my country,” he told reporters. “I know the law was passed and the comment it deserves is that we must respect the choices made by anyone, because, after all, all citizens should have the exact same rights and responsibilities."
One of the most respected and highly talked-about footballers in Europe, Ronaldo in 2009 signed a contract with Real Madrid reportedly worth more than $130 million.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- Patrick Stewart: 'Supporting Gay Rights Is Natural'
- Gallery of Geek: J. Bone
- Madonna's 12 Studio Albums Ranked
- George Takei Hosts My Husband's Not Straight — The Perfect Follow-Up to TLC's 'Not Gay' Reality Show
- Op-ed: 6 Lessons a Straight Couple Learned From Owning a Gay Bar