Cristiano Ronaldo Supports Gay Marriage
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 02 2010 6:10 PM ET
Soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo typically talks sports with reporters. But in an interview for the upcoming World Cup, Ronaldo got serious when he was asked for his opinion on the legalization of same-sex marriage in Portugal.
"The Portuguese man that I am, I try to keep informed about what is happening in my country,” he told reporters. “I know the law was passed and the comment it deserves is that we must respect the choices made by anyone, because, after all, all citizens should have the exact same rights and responsibilities."
One of the most respected and highly talked-about footballers in Europe, Ronaldo in 2009 signed a contract with Real Madrid reportedly worth more than $130 million.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM