Rep. Kirk's Ex on Gay Rumors
BY Michelle Garcia
August 04 2010 4:10 PM ET
The ex-wife of GOP Senate hopeful Mark Kirk answered questions about her former husband's rumored sexual orientation.
Kimberly Vertolli told Chicago magazine that the rumors have surrounded the Illinois representative "since he first ran. It’s highly unusual for a man to have been married to a woman for eight years and not produced children. And it’s unusual for a man to have not been married until he’s 40 years old. [Kirk was 41]. So people get suspicious. It’s human nature. When we don’t understand something, we want to attach an explanation to it. It’s not an accurate explanation that Mark is gay, but nevertheless, that’s how some people choose to reconcile it."
Kirk, who is vying for President Obama's former seat as the state's junior U.S. senator, has faced rumors that he is gay from activist blogger Mike Rogers as well as birther and former primary opponent Andy Martin. He has denied the claims.
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Hilarious Take on This Week's Supreme Court Arguments
- 9 Celebs Who Learned the Hard Way the T-Word Is Over
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate