Rep. Kirk's Ex on Gay Rumors
BY Michelle Garcia
August 04 2010 4:10 PM ET
The ex-wife of GOP Senate hopeful Mark Kirk answered questions about her former husband's rumored sexual orientation.
Kimberly Vertolli told Chicago magazine that the rumors have surrounded the Illinois representative "since he first ran. It’s highly unusual for a man to have been married to a woman for eight years and not produced children. And it’s unusual for a man to have not been married until he’s 40 years old. [Kirk was 41]. So people get suspicious. It’s human nature. When we don’t understand something, we want to attach an explanation to it. It’s not an accurate explanation that Mark is gay, but nevertheless, that’s how some people choose to reconcile it."
Kirk, who is vying for President Obama's former seat as the state's junior U.S. senator, has faced rumors that he is gay from activist blogger Mike Rogers as well as birther and former primary opponent Andy Martin. He has denied the claims.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- S.C. Fans Show Lack Of Creativity, Smarts in Michael Sam Posters
- WATCH: Antigay Baker Cries to Values Voters Summit Over Lawsuit
- Transgender College Student Attacked in Possible Hate Crime