Professor Claims Anti-Straight Bias
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 04 2010 8:00 AM ET
A professor at a Catholic college in Buffalo, N.Y., filed a complaint with the state human rights division alleging that a clique of younger gay men discriminated against him because he is straight.
According to ABC News, Csaba Marosan claims that he “endured years of being ostracized by administrators at Trocaire College, a Catholic, two-year school in Buffalo, for not being part of their clique made up largely of younger, gay men dubbed the ‘Merry Men.’”
Marosan, a native Hungarian, also alleged discrimination based on his accent and gender. The New York Human Rights Division has found probable cause that Trocaire College not only discriminated against him, but fired the natural sciences professor in retaliation for his complaint.
ABC News reports that Marosan, who holds an M.D. from Hungary, filed his first complaint in April 2009, then amended it in April 2010, two months after he was fired, to include charges of discrimination based on sexual orientation. He claimed that two administrators, including one priest, gave preferential treatment to young gay members of the “Merry Men” and to female colleagues.
Trocaire College has denied the professor’s claims. The school claims he was fired because his degree did not meet the standards of the accreditation process.
A public hearing will be scheduled before an administrative judge within weeks, according to ABC News.
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM