Professor Claims Anti-Straight Bias
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 04 2010 9:00 AM ET
A professor at a Catholic college in Buffalo, N.Y., filed a complaint with the state human rights division alleging that a clique of younger gay men discriminated against him because he is straight.
According to ABC News, Csaba Marosan claims that he “endured years of being ostracized by administrators at Trocaire College, a Catholic, two-year school in Buffalo, for not being part of their clique made up largely of younger, gay men dubbed the ‘Merry Men.’”
Marosan, a native Hungarian, also alleged discrimination based on his accent and gender. The New York Human Rights Division has found probable cause that Trocaire College not only discriminated against him, but fired the natural sciences professor in retaliation for his complaint.
ABC News reports that Marosan, who holds an M.D. from Hungary, filed his first complaint in April 2009, then amended it in April 2010, two months after he was fired, to include charges of discrimination based on sexual orientation. He claimed that two administrators, including one priest, gave preferential treatment to young gay members of the “Merry Men” and to female colleagues.
Trocaire College has denied the professor’s claims. The school claims he was fired because his degree did not meet the standards of the accreditation process.
A public hearing will be scheduled before an administrative judge within weeks, according to ABC News.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM