Censorship on Google Instant
BY Michelle Garcia
September 09 2010 7:00 PM ET
The Web is buzzing about Google's latest advancement, Google Instant, which doesn't even wait for the user to click the search button after typing a query. It simply goes straight to the page by predicting what you will type, as you type it.
However, it's been discovered that the "autocomplete excludes certain terms related to pornography, violence and hate speech," according to Google. The feature also happens to exclude the words "bisexual" and "lesbian" while allowing "homosexual," "gay," "queer," "dyke," "transvestite," and "transgender" to be searchable instantly.
A petition at Change.org urges the search engine giant to reverse the censorship, as the terms are not exclusive to pornography.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 17 min 37 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 22 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 52 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 18 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 22 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM