Gay Rights Orgs Double Up
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 29 2010 3:05 PM ET
Facebook cofounder Chris Hughes and his partner, Freedom to Marry political director Sean Eldridge, have a made a huge commitment to the nonprofit push for marriage equality nationwide. The couple will match donations made to Freedom to Marry, Empire State Pride Agenda, Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders and Equality Maryland for the rest of this year.
Eldridge confirmed in an email to The Advocate that he and Hughes will
match up to $100K for Freedom to Marry, $50K for ESPA, $50K for GLAD,
and $25K for Equality Maryland.
“Sean and Chris have taken bold action to help Freedom to Marry win,” founder Evan Wolfson wrote in an e-mail. “Today — I'm asking you to do the same. Can you donate $25 to win? For every donation made it will be matched, dollar for dollar.”
Eldridge and Hughes have been a couple for five years. The two have been actively involved in numerous gay rights and political causes, including Hughes’s work on Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar