Facebook Cofounder Engaged to Boyfriend
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 15 2011 2:35 PM ET
Chris Hughes, cofounder of Facebook, plans to marry longtime boyfriend Sean Eldridge, political director for Freedom to Marry, reports the New York Post.
The Post reports that Eldridge announced his engagement to Hughes at the New York City Reception in Support of Freedom to Marry at the couple's SoHo loft before guests that included city council speaker Christine Quinn and state attorney general Eric Schneiderman.
"This is very timely for Chris and I to have you here tonight to celebrate marriage and work on marriage," Eldridge said. "We got engaged two weeks ago, so there is a real sense of urgency."
The two men haven't set a date, but Eldridge says they'll try to wait until gay marriage is legal in New York."As you know, we can't get married in New York, so there is more of an urgency to approve gay marriage, so we can get married here," Eldridge said. "We're going to get married in the next year or two for sure. We're hoping as soon as possible."
Hughes is now the founder and director of Jumo.com.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM