Another Teen Lost
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 18 2011 8:05 AM ET
UPDATE: The medical examiner investigating the death of 18-year-old Lance Lundsten says he won’t know if the Minnesota high schooler took his own life until after autopsy results and laboratory testing are complete.
Original story below...
Lance Lundsten, a gay 18-year-old student at Jefferson High School in Minnesota, took his own life Saturday after being bullied at school.
KSAX TV reports that authorities believe Lundsten’s death was a suicide. Police officers responded to an emergency call at his family’s residence in Miltona around 10 p.m. Saturday, and he was taken to Douglas County Hospital, where he died.
“According to his Facebook page, Lundsten was openly gay,” reports KSAX. “On a Facebook memorial page in Lundsten's honor, friends said that Lundsten had been bullied at school for his sexual orientation. Some students who knew Lundsten believed the bullying may have led to his suicide.”
According to KSAX, Lance's father said he received a call from the coroner saying Lance had an enlarged heart and died of coronary edema. Staffers with the medical examiner's office told KSAX they had no comment about the phone call to Lance's father.
The funeral for Lundsten will take place today.
This story is still developing.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM