Buju Banton Wins a Grammy
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 13 2011 5:45 PM ET
Buju Banton, the antigay, Jamaican reggae artist who will stand trial starting Monday for the second time on federal drug trafficking charges that could put him in prison for life, won the Grammy for Best Reggae album Sunday night.
Banton won the Grammy for his latest album, Before the Dawn, which he partially recorded while behind bars.
Banton was caught on tape by law enforcement officials in 2009 checking out some cocaine, putting it on his finger and tasting it, according to the Miami Herald. He was arrested in December, 2009 at his Miami home.
Five months ago, Banton’s first trial ended with a hung jury.
Banton, whose real name is Mark Myrie, claims he was entrapped by a confidential informant and got in over his head trying to impress him, who Banton says implied he could help his music career. Government officials say Banton conspired to buy a shipment of cocaine from an undercover officer.
According to the Miami Herald, fans of Banton in Miami and Jamaica think he is being framed by the government or gay activists angered by the violent, homophobic lyrics in his music.
Banton's lyrics have repeatedly been the focus of gay activists, with the reggae artist calling for violence against gays in multiple songs. His concert appearance have been boycotted by gay activists and frequently canceled by club owners as a result.
Read more here.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 7 min 1 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 51 min 26 sec ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 9 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 22 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 42 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 2 hours 2 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 9 min ago