Rowdy Queers: We “Glamdalized” D.C. HRC Store
BY Winston Gieseke
June 29 2011 8:30 PM ET
A group calling itself “The Right Honorable Wicked Stepmothers’ Traveling, Drinking, and Debating Society and Men’s Auxiliary” has claimed responsibility for vandalizing the Human Rights Campaign store in Washington, D.C. Tuesday night.
In a bizarre homage to the Stonewall Riots, the group said — via its press release — that after determining the “god awful monstrosity” would “look great with a bit of shattered glass and splattered paint,” the members strapped on their “riot chaps” and “poured pink paint into light bulbs, grabbed hammers, and went party party party! all over that tacky testament to the transformation of radical queer liberation into consumer junk.”
The majority of the damage was cosmetic, with paint on the store’s windows and the word “Stonewall” sprayed on the sidewalk in front.
Confirming the act of vandalism, HRC director of communications Michael Cole-Schwartz said, “It’s unfortunate that after a marriage win in New York that represented an unprecedented coming together of LGBT groups, some are more interested in fostering division in the community.”
Read the group’s press release here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 2 hours 8 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM