Rowdy Queers: We “Glamdalized” D.C. HRC Store
BY Winston Gieseke
June 29 2011 8:30 PM ET
A group calling itself “The Right Honorable Wicked Stepmothers’ Traveling, Drinking, and Debating Society and Men’s Auxiliary” has claimed responsibility for vandalizing the Human Rights Campaign store in Washington, D.C. Tuesday night.
In a bizarre homage to the Stonewall Riots, the group said — via its press release — that after determining the “god awful monstrosity” would “look great with a bit of shattered glass and splattered paint,” the members strapped on their “riot chaps” and “poured pink paint into light bulbs, grabbed hammers, and went party party party! all over that tacky testament to the transformation of radical queer liberation into consumer junk.”
The majority of the damage was cosmetic, with paint on the store’s windows and the word “Stonewall” sprayed on the sidewalk in front.
Confirming the act of vandalism, HRC director of communications Michael Cole-Schwartz said, “It’s unfortunate that after a marriage win in New York that represented an unprecedented coming together of LGBT groups, some are more interested in fostering division in the community.”
Read the group’s press release here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 1 hour 7 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM