DOJ Gives Congress "Fair" Shot at DOMA Defense
BY Michelle Garcia
June 30 2011 6:25 PM ET
The federal government has decided to appeal a bankruptcy court's decision that found the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional.
U.S. bankruptcy judge Thomas Donovan ruled earlier this month that gay and lesbian couples should be able to file for bankruptcy protection together and that DOMA is unconstitutional. The ruling was in reference to Gene Balas and Carlos Morales, who were legally married in California in 2008 and had filed for bankruptcy protection under Title 11 of the U.S. Code. The couple had been struggling financially after dealing with serious illnesses and unemployment. The United States Trustee moved to dismiss this case, citing DOMA.
Under the direction of President Obama, the U.S. Department of Justice announced the day before Balas and Morales's bankruptcy filing that it would no longer defend DOMA in court. While the House Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group has decided to defend DOMA in court on the government's behalf, it has not yet intervened in this case.
Instead, the Department of Justice filed to appeal the ruling Monday. Assistant U.S. Trustee Jill Sturtevant wrote that the DOJ "is interested in providing Congress a full and fair opportunity to participate in this and other cases," according to the Associated Press.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM